Thursday, July 28, 2011

Vancouver: Then and Now


Last week I was waiting for Peter to pick me up from downtown, when this bus stop caught my eye.  I started what I thought was a car ad, but soon realised that it's part of a public art program celebrating Vancouver's 125th birthday.

The piece is a postcard from 1944 addressed to a recipient who lives at the corner of Drake and Hornby streets juxtaposed with a photo of the same street corner taken in 2011.  The piece reminds me a lot of Fred Herzog's work documenting Vancouver.  There was a Herzog exhibit a few years ago at the Vancouver Art Gallery and I always thought it would be cool to go back and photograph the same locations to see how the city has changed.

I'd love to know, have you seen any more of these then/now pieces around the city? 

No comments: