Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Cascades

I've had a couple of great weekends in a row now. I went over to Victoria the weekend before last to celebrate Kristen and her boyfriend Alex's birthdays. They made a compelling argument that Victoria is the Canadian Portland, but that's another post.

The next morning, Monday, I met up with Jacky, who was in Seattle on business from Washington, D.C. To get there, I took the Amtrak Cascades train, which I was so stoked about that having to wake up at 5:00am didn't even bother me.
The train ride down to Seattle was beautiful as tracks seemed to trace the coast. Just over the border there was a beautiful evergreen forested area (though I wasn't able to get photos because I was on the opposite side of the train).

Having come from Victoria the day before and having just finished watching Season 2 of The Killing on Netflix, which his set in Seattle, I was feeling pretty pumped about the Pacific Northwest. The region definitely has some commonatlies, namely the Pacific, evergreen trees, and affinities for coffee and craft beers. What's not to love?

I'm vaguely aware of the Cascadia movement, but I think this Young Pacific song would be an appropriate anthem:

Take me back to the North Cascades
A place where I feel I was raised

No comments: