Monday, February 25, 2013

Wanderlust Wavelength

Maybe it's the fact that short and grey February, being so close to spring and then summer, gives everyone the travel bug, but I felt on the same wavelength as Joanna when I checked Cup of Jo today. Above is a photo of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat by Laure Joliet.

When I arrived in France to teach English I basically didn't know anyone. My family, having come to Canada some 350 years ago, means I have no French relatives. Whereas when my best friend Anna moved to Oxfordshire after high school for a gap year and had relatives all over the UK, I didn't have many familiar faces to plan to visit. (Though I did have my friends Kristen in Belgium and Dominic in London). Instead I used my generous French vacation time to travel a little all over Europe.

The closest I had to family to visit in Europe was my dear friend and mentor Jacqui's sister who has a home-away-from-home in Cap Ferrat. Jacqui tried to connect us to orchestrate a visit, but unfortunately health concerns prevented her sister and brother-in-law from welcoming me.

Laure's photos make me wonder what a trip to Cap Ferrat might be like. Especially that delicious-looking green been and tomato salad, and those blue beach chairs.

More wanderlust if you're in the mood. Or Cup of Jo has really great travel daydreams to get lost in too.

(photo by Laure Joliet via Cup of Jo)

No comments: