Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Creamy Avocado Pasta


I've kept a blog of some sort intermittently for nearly ten years now.  While this blog has dealt with food primarily in the context of travel and my life in France, I follow food blogs and thought I would post a recipe "review" of sorts. 

Tonight I made Oh She Glow's 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta.  When I first read the recipe some weeks ago, my mouth watered.  While I find it was good, I think my execution of the recipe was a major factor in how it turned out. 

I followed the recipe exactly, except I added one can of Cannelini beans (drained and rinsed) for extra protein, sprinkled sea salt along with pepper on my pasta once I had plated it, and took a shortcut and used bottled lemon juice rather than real.  I feel this latter substitution probably significantly affected the taste.  I also made much more pasta as I failed to note the note that it does not reheat well, so lunch tomorrow will undoubtedly be interesting.  I feel the sauce needs to be warmed up in some way as just mixing it with the pasta straight out of the pot wasn't warm enough for me. 

This recipe was good, but I had (perhaps unrealistically) high expectations for it, and I feel my shortcuts took away from the end result.  I also feel that had I not doubled the amount of spaghetti I boiled, this would have been maybe almost too creamy.  I really like that this creamy pasta sauce does not contain dairy.  I will definitely make this again, but using real lemon next time.  

(photo from Oh She Glows)

No comments: