Monday, May 16, 2011

London Calling


Just as I did exactly five years ago on April 22nd, I boarded a plane to London. This time, however, I was leaving from France, not Vancouver. Flying across the Channel, I was just as excited as five years ago because this time I was meeting my mom in London and it was her first time in Europe.

Walking down into the Tube on my way to the hotel after the better part of a year not taking public transit, I felt like I was facing David Shrigley's Underground knot. Fortunately I made it, and as an expert transit rider the knot quickly unravelled.

It was really good to be in London again, and it was such a great city to visit with my mom. Over the weekend we were there we had such lovely summer-like weather that we walked nearly everywhere we went and enjoyed London's many parks. We saw all the essential London sights, like Big Ben and the Tower of London. Passing by Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace we saw the camera crews setting up for the royal wedding.

Where the camera crews were across from Buckingham Palace

If you followed my London postcard challenge, you know that I was in London twice (because my mom flew in and out of London). My second trip to London consisted of seeing the friends I have in the city and visiting several of the great museums here, including the National Gallery and Tate Modern.

London is a great city. I find London to have a very similar feel to Vancouver, partially because of its Asian influences and similar weather. I felt at home away from home. I can't wait to go back, hopefully as part of a trip including Scotland and Ireland.

No comments: