Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day and Night


This was the view I woke up to this morning, and every sunshine-filled morning for that matter. It has been such a beautiful month so far, sunny and warm--almost an early-spring feel in the air.

Mid-last week I started to notice that the days were getting longer. The transition from winter into spring is one of my favourite times of the year. It's so encouraging to notice little differences every day and to have summer to look forward to.

As my dad noted, according to timeanddate.com, the days in Saint Étienne are nearly an hour longer than Red Deer, where he lives. I am only getting little less than a half hour of daytime more than Vancouver.

In Saint Étienne, the sun currently rises at 8:19am and sets at 5:25pm, making for a day of 9 hours 6 minutes. In Vancouver, the sun presently rises at 8:02am and sets at 4:42pm, for a day of 8 hours 40 minutes. And in Red Deer, sunrise is currently at 8:38am and sunset is at 4:52pm, for a day of 8 hours 14 minutes.

Even since I checked last week, the days have gotten much longer!

No comments: