Monday, January 31, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


A few weeks ago I was asked if I could help supervise my school's English-language movie night. Having an hour to kill between the time I finished work and the movie night, I picked up this book from my school's library. I was initially drawn to the book because one of my classes read it.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a quick, delightful read told in the style of letters back and forth between the protagonist, Juliet Ashton, and the other characters (I love snail mail!). The novel is set in Britain just after the end of World War II and tells the story of Juliet writing a book about the Guernsey Islanders' experiences under German occupation. Though the book deals with the war, the story is for the most part lighthearted. One of things I enjoyed most about this book is the British humour, which though written by two Americans--Mary Ann Shaffer and completed by her niece, Annie Burrows, after her death--is spot on.

(Image via Google Images)

No comments: